How Short Should You Mow Your Lawn in Loveland, CO?
When mowing your lawn in Loveland, it is important to never cut more than one-third of the grass blade at any given time. Doing so would create stress on the grass and could cause brown patches or even damage to its root system. Ideally, your grass should be taller in the summer months—cut to about 3-4 inches—and lower in winter, about 1 ½ - 2 ½ inches. This will allow the grass blades to shade each other and protect themselves from extreme temperatures.
Loveland Lawn Mowing Tips
- Mow the lawn when it is dry to prevent clumping and damaging the blades.
- In general, you should aim to mow your lawn once every week or two weeks (depending on the size of your yard).
- Use sharp, clean blades to create a cleaner cut and ensure that the grass has a healthier appearance.
- When mowing, mow with the blades of your lawnmower set high to avoid scalping and promote healthy growth.
- Leave clippings on the lawn after cutting—they act as a natural fertilizer and help retain moisture in the soil.
Lawn Mower Maintenance Tips
Regular maintenance of your lawn mower is essential to ensure that it runs smoothly and efficiently throughout the season. Here are some tips for maintaining a lawn mower in Loveland:
- Check and clean the air filter regularly. A clogged or dirty air filter will reduce the efficiency of your engine. It's best to check the air filter at least once a month and replace or clean it if necessary.
- Clean the mower blades after each use. This will help to ensure that your blades continue to cut grass efficiently and evenly.
- Check the oil level in your engine regularly, as running on low oil can damage the engine over time. Replace any worn-out parts and keep the mower well-lubricated.
- Sharpen your blades at least once a year or as needed, to avoid damaging turf or leaving it looking uneven.
- When trimming near obstacles, slow down your mower so you can make sure not to miss any spots or accidentally damage anything.
- Raise the deck after each use in order to prevent scalping the lawn. This is especially important when dealing with uneven terrain.
Let The Professionals Take Care of the Rest
While lawn mowing is an important aspect of lawn maintenance, there is a lot more to it—like fertilization, weed control, aeration, overseeding, and more. Though American Turf & Tree Care DOES NOT offer lawn mowing services, we can help take care of everything else. Our comprehensive lawn care program in Loveland is tailored to the needs of your turf and offers a variety of services so that you don’t have to do anything but mow and water your lawn!